WHAT IS A CONVECTION OVEN?
A convection oven is an oven that has fans which circulate air around food. This hot air ensures that food is evenly heated. This increased air circulation also causes the food to cook faster than a conventional oven.Convection ovens are also called fan-assist ovens or fan-ovens. Fan-assisted convection ovens are usually used for baking. They are also used to cook and roast food.
A convection oven has two heating elements that heat air in order to cook food. One heating element is at the bottom of the oven, and it is used mostly to cook and bake. The second heating element is at the top, and it is usually for broiling foods. The dish closest to the active heating element cooks the fastest. Most convection ovens have a third heating element which is known as true convection. This helps foods cook faster.
A lot of recipes are usually written for convection ovens. This is the reason people often feel a lot more comfortable using them.
In this guide, you will see when, why and how convection ovens can be used.
BENEFITS OF A CONVECTION OVEN: WHY YOU SHOULD USE ONE.
Convection ovens have many benefits, and when you are done reading these benefits, I am sure you would definitely want to get one. Below are some of the reasons why you should use a convection oven:
- A convection oven bakes and roasts much faster than a conventional oven.
- It preheats quickly.
- If you want to cook more than one dish at once, then convection ovens are for you.
- It allows you to bake for a long cycle without the foods getting dry.
- Using convection ovens ensures that you have functionalities that you are familiar with.
- Even baking and heat distribution.
- It doesn’t rotate as much as a conventional oven
- Browning, roasting and crisping are best done in convection ovens.
- The air in convection circulates well, and it gives room for dishes to cook evenly.
- Convection ovens can cook almost anything including meats, vegetables, and cookies.
TIPS FOR USING CONVECTION OVENS
When using convection ovens, you should do the following:
- The bakeware and cookware you make use of should have lower sides. This will give room for air to circulate properly.
- Make sure the times and temperatures are set correctly. This improves efficiency and gives you excellent results.
- Ensure that when you roast, brown or crisp your food, you do so with the convection roast setting. You want to make sure the meal is properly roasted.
You should, however, avoid:
- Obstructing the convection fan with tall cookware. As I said earlier, make sure to check that your cookware and bakeware have low sides. This is very important.
- Never stuff your oven with more than what it can contain. Overloading your oven only makes it less efficient.
- When baking moist and delicate desserts, avoid using the convection setting. This will only ruin the snacks.
HOW TO USE A CONVECTION OVEN
Step 1: CHECK IF YOU NEED TO CONVERT YOUR RECIPES
The very first thing you need to do before you cook, bake or roast in your convection oven is to check your recipes. This is because different recipes have different times and temperatures peculiar to them. If you use one hour, for instance, for a recipe that is meant to last for thirty minutes, that might just ruin the recipe. So, always remember that conversions are important. If you have issues adjusting the time or temperature, you can always refer back to the manual of your convection oven.
STEP 2: CONVERT THE TEMPERATURE
There is a simple trick for this. All you need to do is subtract 25°F from the temperature listed. For instance, if you want to bake a brownie, and the recipe tells you to preheat to 375°F, just adjust the temperature to 350°F. Easy, right?
STEP 3: ADJUST THE RECIPE TIME
Adjusting the time of your convection oven can be a little tricky. Well, you actually have to do a little bit of calculation. For true convection, you have to multiply the listed time by 0.75. For instance, if the listed time for your brownie recipe is 40 minutes, you will convert it to 30 minutes. You should also know that the instructions always vary depending on the oven. This is why it is very important to check the owner’s manual for the exact time settings.
STEP 4: PREHEAT YOUR OVEN
After your temperature and time have been converted, the next step is to preheat your oven to the already adjusted temperature. I should add that you’re petty quite lucky because convection ovens preheat faster than conventional ones.
Step 5: START COOKING, ROASTING OR BAKING
Well, what are you waiting for? Place your cookware or bakeware on the racks of your oven and cook/ bake away!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the difference between a convection oven and a conventional oven?
It is difficult to tell the difference between both ovens until you take a look at their interiors. When you look inside, you will realize that a convection oven is usually equipped with a fan, exhaust system and sometimes, a third heating element. Conventional ovens, on the other hand, lack these characteristics.
Which is better: a convection oven or a conventional oven?
Convection ovens have advantages that conventional ovens don’t have. For instance, they bake and cook faster than a conventional oven. Plus, they circulate air more evenly than conventional ovens.
When should I use the convection setting on my convection oven?
You can use the convection setting on your convection oven when you want to cook, roast or bake practically anything. The convection setting makes food crispy on the outside without making the inside very dry.
You should avoid using the convection setting on delicate food or pastries.
Where can I get a good conventional oven?
You can always trust us at www.lihonstores.com. We sell the most trusted kitchen equipment that are efficient and affordable.